[2008] Figs

[2008] Figs

[2008] Map of the West Bank

[2008] Map of the West Bank

7/11/2007

My Palestinian Bgirls & Bboys...

In the summer camp in which I volunteer here environs Bethlehem (Beit Jala Library) I've been lucky enough to be able to teach bboying/bgirling (breakdance) to the youth there... For the little kids (age 3-10) it mostly consists of stepping here and there, jumping around, clapping, dropping to the floor and then doing some shuffles, or something that seems to be similar. But they love it. And I love seeing them rock out to The Mexican and You Got Soul.

Now the older group: Natasha (14), Noura (12), Alfred (11), Nader (14), Khader (14), Nadia (17) and Bakir (13) [**I might have the ages wrong!!] is really rocking out. They are more dedcated than most older friends of mine who bboy/bgirl... They want to break ALL THE TIME. We sessioned for about 3 hours yesterday and I only ended it because I had to get to the Siraj Center for a class. They've pretty much all got 6-step, 4-step, cee-cee's, grapevine, and kick-outs. They're shakier on top-rocks but are doing pretty damn gooood considering this is the end of their second week as bboys and bgirls... Natasha actually has this one top that evolved out of another one I was teaching and I think she's got somethin' on Floor Phantom--completely his rocking style. They've got some sweet drops and they're into making up variations. Basically these kids got mad style. We're working on a routine to "This or That" for a performance next week during which we'll also either have a cipher or a battle and then maybe have them teach some audience members.

I NEED TO COME BACK HERE NEXT SUMMER. Any bboys or bgirls interested in coming with, hit me up!! They'd actually asked if I'd bring Fifo (since they saw a clip of him on youtube--the one battling Bounce, who they loved too). It's hilarious, everyday this one girl asks, "Can you bring Fifo next year??" Fifo: doubt you're reading this but if so, ya up for it?? ;)

Damn, this kids really want to know it ALL and I feel like I'm abandoning them by leaving after next week...

No comments: